Disclaimer

I created this blog so I would have somewhere to journal and share the things I make and do. I try not to steal other's ideas. Some of what I make I have seen in homes or in stores. Or I make a spin-off of something I have seen elsewhere. I will always try to give the proper credit where it is due.
~Mary

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dinosaur Birthday Cake

We had my daughter's fourth birthday party yesterday. She said she wanted a green dinosaur cake. I found directions on how to make one at http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/rex-the-dinosaur--cake. It was much easier than I thought it would be. What do you think?


I cut the shape out of two 9" pans.{one cake mix}. The website shows you how to do that.
Then I made a homemade Buttercream frosting and tinted it green, then I frosted the cake. When ever you are frosting a cake, always do a thin layer of frosting first. This is called the crumb layer because it collects all the crumbs. Chill the cake for about 30 minutes, then frost it again. You won't have any crumbs showing because of the first layer you did.
Then I used white Buttercream frosting for the mouth and dots on the eyes.
For the eyes, toes, and small dots I used chocolate chips. I pushed them into the cake with the tips facing down. The bigger dots are Hershey Kisses that I did the same thing to. Pushed them in, tip side down. I also used Hershey Kisses as the spikes along the tail, back and up the head of the dinosaur.
My daughter loved it! And it was so fun to make!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU! I have been trying to figure out how to make a dinosaur cake for my little boy. He is in love with dinosaurs and wants a dino cake for his birthday in a few weeks. YOu have saved me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun thing to do is hide little toy dinosaurs inide each cupcake before baking them. Frost as you normally would. Then let the kids'excavate' by digging into each cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea too. That's what I'm probably going to do for his preschool class. But I wanted an actual cake for his Birthday Party.

    ReplyDelete