Disclaimer

I created this blog so I would have somewhere to journal and share the things I make and do. I try not to steal other's ideas. Some of what I make I have seen in homes or in stores. Or I make a spin-off of something I have seen elsewhere. I will always try to give the proper credit where it is due.
~Mary

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Whole- Wheat Quick Bread

This is another new recipe I tried today. It was....okay. I liked it, but I don't think it'll be a favorite. But that's just me and my family! Give this a try and see how your family likes it! One thing I did like was how easy this was to make. I make homemade wheat bread all the time that takes ALL afternoon to make. So I did like the quickness of this! And like I said, it wasn't bad. Just not really something I would make alot. I will make it once in awhile though. I got this recipe out of "The Essential Mormon Celebrations" cookbook.

Whole-Wheat Quick Bread

1 egg, beaten
2 cups Buttermilk
3 tablespoons molasses or honey {I used the honey}
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

In a bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, molasses or honey, and butter. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and baking power. Stir well; add to first mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 400 degrees for about 45-50 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool slightly, then turn out of pan onto a wire rack. Slice while warm. Makes 1 loaf.
*I think the baking time was too long, I baked mine for about 42 minutes and it came out almost too dark on top. So next time I'll definitely shorten the baking time. Also, I had a slice of this while warm with Honey Butter. Soooooo good! You should try that! Here's a recipe for the butter out of the same cookbook~

Beehive Honey Butter

1 cup Honey
1 cup Butter, softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Combine honey, softened butter and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for about 3 minutes until thickened. Put into jars and refrigerate. Keeps up to 4 weeks in refrigerator.
*I loved this Honey Butter! I want to make corn bread now, and scones, and fry bread and just smear it all with this butter. Very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment