Disclaimer

I created this blog so I would have somewhere to journal and share the things I make and do. I try not to steal other's ideas. Some of what I make I have seen in homes or in stores. Or I make a spin-off of something I have seen elsewhere. I will always try to give the proper credit where it is due.
~Mary

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Buttermilk Sheet Cake

Alright, here's the other recipe I tried today. It turned out really good! My pre-schooler even ate the cake part, and she usually just eats the frosting! I got this out of a ward cookbook from my home ward. This recipe was submitted by my parents neighbor, Lynette.

Buttermilk Sheet Cake

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine

3 tablespoons cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

Set together in large bowl the sugar, flour, and salt. Mix water, shortening, butter, and cocoa in saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over dry ingredients and mix. Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and baking soda. Mix well. Pour into greased 11x15 inch cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Frosting~
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons milk

1 lb powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nut { optional}

Bring butter, cocoa, and milk to a boil. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Add nuts, if desired. Spread over cake while warm.
*I thought something tasted just a little off with the frosting. It was still very good, but I think I'll look for a different recipe for the frosting to try next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment